Year 7 PLCs
Year 9 PLCs
Year 11 PLCs
Design and Technology
Design and Technology aims to create independent, logical learners who seek challenges and push the boundaries of creativity, through invigorating, challenging and high-quality experience. Design Technology covers four key areas: Food, Resistant materials, Graphics and Textiles. The subject intentions are to provide lessons of interest and relevance so that students are motivated to be creative, imaginative, inspiring and develop skills to progress onto further education, apprenticeships or employment.
Students achieve this through practical and academic challenges, which range from graphical skills to soldering circuits and cooking meals, to ensure students leave the school with a variety of skills.
We ensure that all our students underpin our core values of hard work, respect, taking responsibility, showing empathy and being part of the community.
The 4 sections of the department are:
- Resistant Material - This area teaches students about timber, metal and plastic manipulation skills whilst enhancing their design creativity.
- Textiles – Equips students with the skills of sewing, applique and printing methods to name a few.
- Graphics – Demonstrates to students the process of graphical communication and how to use software to create Computer Aided Designs and how they can be processed into manufacture.
- Food Preparation and Nutrition – Enables students to understand and demonstrate the skills of cooking, baking and preparation to support a healthy life style.
Students will experience all aspects of the department through a carousel time table in which students participate in 9 week projects within each area in year 7 and 8, this ensures developments in all skill areas and a cross curricular ethos.
In Year 9 students focus on 2 specialist areas of technology which is taught on a rotation throughout the year. This is in preparation for the KS4 option choices the students make.
- Miss R Gohel – Head of Department/Graphics / Resistant materials / Textiles technology
- Mrs N Hodgson - Food Preparation and Nutrition / Head of Year 7
- Mrs A Kelly - Textiles / Graphics Technology / Teaching and learning coach
- Mr R Hindmarch - Technician
- Mrs S Rouse - Technician
- Miss V Thornes - Graphics and Textiles
The department also runs extra-curricular clubs. These are aimed to deepen student’s knowledge of the subject and expand their practical knowledge.